Pilkington Suncool™ Range
The Pilkington Suncool™ Range comprises our highest performing off-line coated, solar control and low-emissivity glass products. Coating technology has revolutionised the design of modern buildings enabling extensive use of glazing which combines functionality with stunning aesthetics.
Pilkington Suncool™ works by controlling solar heat gains without significantly reducing internal light levels; designed to achieve optimum performance in large glazed areas. The range combines high light transmittance; low, medium or high light reflectance and outstanding thermal insulation properties, resulting from an extremely low-emissivity coating.
The high selectivity index (light-to-heat ratio) of Pilkington Suncool™, combined with the highest level of thermal insulation reduces the need for cooling and heating systems in your building, lowering running costs and helping to make your building ‘green’.
The range manages comfort and costs all year round, with the solar control glass minimising solar heat gain; rejecting solar radiation and controlling glare in hot conditions. Equally, in more temperate conditions, Pilkington Suncool™ works to balance solar control with high levels of natural light.
Studies undertaken for Glass for Europe show that between 15 and 18 million tonnes of CO2 emissions annually, could be saved by the optimal use of solar control glass. Pilkington Suncool™ satisfies green building certifications such as LEED and BREEAM in helping to meet this objective, alongside our own energy conservation and generation initiatives.
We are a global leader in high performance glass and glazing solutions and continually develop products to meet an ever increasing focus on low-energy performance and ‘green-building’ initiatives.
With the growing use of glass in architecture, Pilkington Suncool™ can help to reduce capital outlay and running costs of air-conditioning, as well as reducing the carbon emissions of a building the whole year round.
Pilkington Suncool™ is available in both clear or neutral appearance, as well as in two distinctive colours: blue and silver.
Pilkington Suncool™ is to be used exclusively in Insulating Glass Units. Designed to achieve optimum performance in large glazed areas, Pilkington Suncool™ products are suitable for commercial and residential applications that demand high light transmission properties.
The high selectivity index (light-to-heat ratio) combined with outstanding thermal insulation make the range ideally suited for large areas of glazing, where the need is to control solar gains without significantly reducing the internal light levels. Where a safety glass is required, Pilkington Suncool™ can be specified as toughened or laminated glass. Toughened or heat strengthened glass should also be specified in applications where Pilkington Suncool™ may be at risk of thermal breakage.
- Pilkington Suncool™ must be glazed in an Insulating Glass Unit (IGU).
- Pilkington Suncool™ can be combined in an IGU with other products from the Pilkington range to provide benefits such as impact safety, security, fire resistance or for example additional noise reduction using Pilkington Optiphon™.
- Pilkington Activ Suncool™ is glazed as the outer pane in an Insulating Glass Unit. It is a dual coated single glass incorporating the Pilkington Activ™ self-cleaning coating on the outer surface and the Pilkington Suncool™ solar control coating on the inner surface.
- The performance options offered by the range has now been extended to include a selection of the Pilkington Suncool™ coatings on low-iron, extra clear Pilkington Optiwhite™ for enhanced aesthetics, Pilkington Suncool™ OW.
Watch the video to find out more
Pilkington Suncool™ range offers wide range of benefits:
- superior solar control performance with the highest level of thermal insulation (U-value down to 1,0 W/m2K in a double glazed unit with 90% argon filled), reducing the need for cooling and heating the building,
- high selectivity index (light-to-heat), offering low solar heat gains without significantly reducing the internal light levels,
- solar radiation transmittance (g-value) ranging from 0.42 down to 0.17,
- external light reflections ranging from a low 10% up to 42%,
- light transmittance performance ranging from 70% to 28% giving excellent light/heat ratios,
- wide range of colours and appearances, providing solutions for the most demanding designs,
- range of light transmission and reflection,
- to be used solely in Insulating Glass Units; argon/krypton gas filling can be used to achieve higher thermal insulation,
- can be enhanced when combined with other Pilkington products to provide additional benefits such as self-cleaning, noise control, safety or security properties,
- can also be combined with Pilkington Optiwhite™ for improved light and solar transmittance properties,
- harmonising spandrel panels available, allowing freedom in design of complete glass façades,
- ideal for large areas of glazing to control solar gain whilst providing high light levels,
- cost effective solution for reducing energy consumption,
- Pilkington Suncool™ can be supplied in annealed, toughenable, laminated forms and toughened on special request,
- available in 6 mm, 8 mm and 10 mm thickness (4 mm available in some products, 12 mm may be available on special request).